My 10 Favourite Travel Quotes
1. "A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step" - Lao Tzu
2. "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - St Augustine
3. "Not all those that wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
4. "A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles." - Tim Cahill
5. "The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." - G.K. Chesterton
6. "One travels more usefully when alone, because he reflects more." - Thomas Jefferson
7. "It is not down in any map; true places never are." - Herman Melville
8. "Travel teaches toleration." - Benjamin Disraeli
9. "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." - Martin Buber
10. "Do not follow where a path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Travel Quotes To Encourage You Take The Leap
11. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
12. "To travel is to live." ― Hans Christian Andersen
13. "We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us."
14. "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." – John A. Shedd
15. "Life's an adventure. Take risks."
16. "To travel is to take a journey into yourself." – Danny Kaye
17. "If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal." - Paulo Coelho
18. "All glory comes from daring to begin." - Eugene F. Ware
19. "There's a whole world out there."
20. "You only live once."
21. "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore." - Andre Gide
22. "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." – Helen Keller
23. "All you've got to do is decide to go and the hardest part is over." - Tony Wheeler
24. "When you come to a fork in the road, take it" – Yogi Berra
25. "Dream Big. Start Small. Act Now." - Robin Sharma
26. "One day you will wake up & there won’t be any more time to do the things you’ve always wanted. Do it now!" - Paulo Coelho
27. "Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Have the courage to follow your heart." Steve Jobs
28. "If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try." - Seth Godin
29. "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."
30. "I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that", instead of saying "I wish I did that"."
31. "If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet." - Rachel Wolchin
32. "Travel as much, as far, and as long as you can. Life's not meant to be lived in one place."
33. "Don't fear change, it's the pathway to greatness."
34. "Always do what you are afraid to do."
35. "If you're brave enough to say goodbye, the world will reward you with a new hello."
36. "There are a lot of stories out there waiting for you to live them."
37. "You will never know, if you don't go!"
38. "Nothing to lose, everything to gain."
39. "There are those who say they're going to travel the world, and those who do."
40. "Those outside their door have the hardest part of their journey behind them." – Dutch Proverb
41. "The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later." - Randy Komisar
42. "In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take."
43. "You don't choose the day you enter the world and you don't choose the day you leave. It's what you do in between that makes all the difference." – Anita Septimus
Even More Awesome Travel Quotes
44. "It is better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times." - Asian Proverb
45. "Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life." - Michael Palin
46. "My favorite thing is to go where I've never been." - Diane Arbus
47. "Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world." – Scott Cameron
48. "Never. Stop. Exploring."
49. "Jet lag is for amateurs." - Dick Clark
50. "The most beautiful thing in the world is, of course, the world itself." - Wallace Stevens
51. "Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road." – Jack Kerouac
52. "When overseas you learn more about your own country, than you do the place you’re visiting." – Clint Borgen
53. "Half the fun of the travel is the esthetic of lostness." – Ray Bradbury
54. "I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world." - Mary Anne Radmacher
55. "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home." – James Michener
56. "To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries." – Aldous Huxley
57. "Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer."
58. "Carpe Diem" (Seize the day) - Latin Proverb
59. "Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe." - Anatole France
60. "Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey." – Fitzhugh Mullan
61. "Adventure without risk is Disneyland." – Doug Coupland
62. "I don’t know where I'm going, but I’m on my way." – Carl Sagan
63. "To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world." – Freya Stark
64. "Tourists don’t know where they've been, travellers don’t know where they’re going." – Paul Theroux
65. "Travel is a part of education" – Francis Bacon
66. "I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them." - Mark Twain
67. "Collect moments not things."
68. "To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice." - Elizabeth Gilbert
69. "All good things are wild and free."
70. "Travelers never think that they are the foreigners." - Mason Cooley
71. "The tans will fade, but the memories will last forever."
72. "It feels good to be lost in the right direction."
73. "I just wish the world was twice as big and half of it was still unexplored." - David Attenborough
74. "You don't need magic to disappear, just a destination."
75. "Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow." - Anita Desai
76. "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
77. "One of the great things about travel is that you find out how many good, kind people there are." - Edith Wharton
78. "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." – Marcel Proust
79. "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." - Lewis Carroll
80. "He who does not travel does not know the value of men." – Moorish proverb.
81. "Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness."
82. "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - Susan Sontag
83. "Backpacking is the art of knowing what not to take." — Sheridan Anderson
84. "You don't always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go, and see what happens." - Mandy Hale
85. "Fill your life with experiences, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show."
86. "Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself."
87. "Don't tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled." The Prophet Mohammed
88. "Travel is very subjective. What one person loves, another loathes." – Robin Leach
89. "Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain." - Jack Kerouac
90. "Memories never die."
91. "A traveller without observation is a bird without wings." – Moslih Eddin Saadi
92. "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." – Marcel Proust
93. "When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money." – Susan Heller
94. "I dislike feeling at home when I am abroad." – George Bernard Shaw
95. "A foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable." ― Clifton Fadiman
96. "Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen." – Benjamin Disraeli
97. "I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it." — Rosalia de Castro
98. "I can’t think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything." – Bill Bryson
99. "Put down your map and get wonderfully lost."
100. "People don’t take trips… trips take people." – John Steinbeck
I'm No Philosopher, But Here's A Bonus Quote From Me
101. "Say YES and have NO regrets." - Craig Phillips (creator of BackpackerAdvice.com)
You May Also Like To Read
10 Backpacking Myths
There are many misconceptions about backpacking - often conjured up by people that have never been. These are the top 10 myths I want to dispel
1. I Could Never Do It
2. You Need To Be Young...
Ways To Fund And Save Money For Travelling
Many people say that they would love to go travelling if only they could afford it and consequently never end up going.
However by following these steps you can easily save enough money to go travelling...
Initial Backpacker Planning
Now you have decided to go, you can start to get excited by beginning to plan your trip.
When and where should you go? How much time and money do you need? What route should you take?...
Keep updated by subscribing to our newsletter:
Did you find this helpful?
If you can't find the answer you are looking for Visit Our FAQ
If you still have unanswered questions in regards to this article, or anything else on this site, please Contact Us
Building and maintaining a website takes a lot of time, effort and money. If this website has helped or inspired you, a donation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.