1. Machu Picchu
The lost city of Machu Picchu is probably the most iconic picture of South America. Most backpackers avoid the bus and take the traditional Inca Trail Route, arguably one the best hikes in the world.
2. Lake Titicaca
Floating island of the Uru people, Lake Titicaca.
The highest navigable lake in the world is also notable for the population of people who live on Uros; a group of artificial islands made up of floating reeds. Approximately 60% of the lake is in Peru and the other 40% is in Bolivia. The lake is also an area of stunning natural beauty and home to many species of native flora and fauna.
3. Sacred Valley of the Incas
Sacred Valley Steppes near Pisaq.
The Sacred Valley contains many illustrious and spectacular Inca ruins, including the main attraction Machu Picchu. There are so many more ruins to see throughout the valley, notably Sacsayhuaman, Moray, Ollantaytambo and Pisaq. The town at the bottom of the valley Aguas Calientes (next to Machu Picchu) is a magnificent place too.
Plaza de Armas, Cusco.
Cusco was the site of the historic capital of the Inca Empire. Not only is it a beautiful city with well preserved colonial architecture and rich history, but it is also a fantastic and comfortable base for visiting some of Peru's top attractions.
Amazon Rainforest, near Iquitos.
Iquitos is considered to be the largest continental city unreachable by road. There are some idyllic floating villages on the rivers surrounding the city, but most travellers visit for the great access to the Amazon rainforest, which boasts some of the best wildlife viewing in the Peruvian Amazon.
6. Huascarán National Park
Laguna Paron, Huascarán National Park.
Huascarán National Park is home to the highest mountains in the Peruvian Andes. It is possible to climb mountains in the park over 6000m high without being an experienced mountaineer, but never do so alone.
Volcano El Misti rising above the Cathedral of Arequipa.
Arequipa is the second most visited city in Peru, surrounded by three impressive volcanoes. Unlike many other cities in Peru, Arequipa is inspired by Spanish culture, with no Inca artefacts or ruins in the city.
8. Nazca Desert
The famous Nazca Lines drawn in the desert.
Nazca is most famous for the ancient Nazca Lines, a collection giant geometrical figures and drawings in the desert sand. There is a observation tower and a lookout on a nearby mountain, although the best way to see them is by air (if you can afford it).
The upmarket district of Miraflores, renowned for its shopping, flower-filled gardens and beaches.
Lima is the capital and largest city in Peru. A huge city with several district containing a wide mix of different sights and sounds. Lima is the best place for foodies to try the wonderful Peruvian cuisine.
Huacachina is a tiny town around a small lake and surrounded by huge sand dunes. Huacachina is a picturesque place, but very much a resort town, with fun activities such as sand boarding and riding dune buggies.
Recommended For Further Information
South America On A Shoestring: Lonely Planet
If you are heading to multiple destinations in South America I highly recommend picking up a copy of Lonely Planet's; South America On A Shoestring. It provides the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and skip, what hidden discoveries await you, where to stay, and how to optimise your budget for an extended continental trip...
You May Also Like To Read
Places To Visit In Argentina
Mount Fitz Roy
Patagonia is one of the wildest regions in the world, comprised of mountains, deserts and grasslands.
No area of Patagonia is more beautiful and striking than Fitz Roy. Next...
Places To Visit In Brazil
Olinda is home to one of the most famous carnivals in Brazil.
The 18th century buildings of the historic downtown add to the charm of this quaint beach city. Next...
10 Reasons To Go To South America
A constant beat fills the air and your soul in South America. From pan pipes and drums to rappers and DJ's, the music is ubiquitous and contagious.
Keep updated by subscribing to our newsletter:
Did you find this helpful?
If you can't find the answer you are looking for Visit Our FAQ
If you still have unanswered questions in regards to this article, or anything else on this site, please Contact Us
Building and maintaining a website takes a lot of time, effort and money. If this website has helped or inspired you, a donation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.